Thursday, June 2, 2022

It's a love Buggy

 Today we had a our last excursion. We rode love buggy's all over the island.  They are really cute looking.  They remind me of a miniature Volkswagen bug except these ones only have three wheels.  they are pretty small.  Art and I shared one and it was pretty cramped for us both but we endured. Out tour guides were a couple of locals that were very passionate about their business.  The leader of the group repeated himself so much that we were sick of hearing him by the end.  The tour lasted about 4 hours. 

I am so glad we did it as we got to see the most beautiful parts of the island that we would not have been able to see otherwise.  We saw a $16 million and $24 million home.  And wow the views were absolutely incredible.  We saw the house that the artist formerly known as Prince lived.  It had a purple drive way and it apparently inspired him to write the song Purple Rain.   Hmmmm who knew?!  

We also went to an old cotton plantation that is now in ruins.  It was an active plantation in the 1800s and was operated by slaves.  After the plantation we went to lunch.  

Lunch....... what can I say about lunch. We were served a platter for 2 that had fries, fish fingers, chicken wings,  some sort of corn pone and conch.  I decided I was going to try it all.  Yep...... I did it.  The fish fingers actually didn't taste too bad. They really didn't have a fish taste.  I really like the pone.  The wings were not my favorite and believe it or not I did like the conch.  That was the first time eating conch for both Art and I.  I took a bite and the flavor was fine and the texture was slightly rubbery.  It kinda reminded us of a cross between clams and calamari.   I was so proud of myself for trying it.  I am not one to try new foods. 

For some reason I have been absolutely fascinated by how the locals live and their culture.  So later this afternoon Art and I went for a drive and went to a hardware type store.  They had a ton of items.  And true to everything else the prices at this store were extremely high.  I found a hand mixer for $145 that costs less that $50 on Amazon.  I really was gobsmacked at all the prices. I found my favorite isle.........the cleaning isle and was shocked at the cost of basic supplies.  We stopped on the way home at the grocery store and picked up some food for dinner.    

Tonight was just like being home........ sleeping in the chair while watching TV til it's time for bed. 

For the record driving on the left still freaks me out..........always choosing the right is good for so many reasons........even driving......just saying. 

No comments: