Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Another Fun Full Day

 Today was another full fun day.  We left this morning at 8 and didn’t return until 6:30.

We started out with a nice breakfast.  It was very filling and delicious. Then off to Mt Rushmore. WOW!!  It was so incredible and impressive.  We decided not to walk the path as it had a lot of warnings and it had 457 stair steps.  Yikes!  We have almost half of that just doing the area around.  The steps to the sculptor’s shop was over 150.  Going down the stairs was no problem but coming back up was a bear!  I was surprised with my bad feet and bad knee I could do it.  I didn’t even have to use my inhaler.  We spent a couple hours there.

After we left Mt Rushmore, we headed to the Badlands.  It was a couple hour drive.  BUT we first stopped in the town Wall and went to Wall Drug for lunch.  The place was packed. It definitely isn’t your usual drug store. It is more like a mini shopping mall with a restaurant.  After we had lunch, we walked around a little bit then stopped by the ice cream counter.  Off to the Badlands we went.

The cute ranger at the Badlands gave us a senior season park pass.  She said it would be cheaper than the entry fee.  The funny thing is we were talking about getting one but the season is almost over so we didn’t think it would be worth it. But now we have one…there you have it getting old is paying off.  I was completely unfamiliar with the Badlands and not sure why we would want to drive the loop. Well let me tell you, It left a lasting impression on me and I will be doing more research on the area.  The area used to all be underwater.  That alone surprised me.  In a lot of the areas it was similar to the Grand Canyon for depth but a different color.  I have no words to describe how majestic it really was.  The loop took a couple hours to drive through and we stopped at several of the turn out/stop locations and read up on that particular location.  After looking around the area, I  kept telling Art, I didn’t feel like we were still on Earth.  So glad we went!

It was a little chilly this morning.  I wore my jacket for the first hour but then it warmed up.  The temperature at the Badlands was 90 degrees but it was a really really hot 90.  I like heat …..a lot, but this was almost too hot for even me.  It was weird.  But driving home the temperature drop to 67 degrees and it  started to rain.  We even had thunder and lightning.  We stopped for dinner and it was too chilly to sit outside.  A cold front is definitely moving in. 

We are tired tonight…… I think we will sleep good.  Tomorrow will be another fun day.














No comments: