Thursday, July 22, 2010

My Latest Read

As most of you know I am not much of a reader. I think that gene missed me. My sister is an avid reader and so is my daughter. Me I have never been much of a pleasure reader. My sister loved reading so much, I can recall when I was young and we shared a bed, she would read under the covers as she just couldn't put the book down to go to sleep. This desire was so foreign to me. Now TV that is an other story. I love my TV. I am not a very fast reader and when I was employed I read a lot of law and technical material so the idea of coming home a reading a book when I could turn on the TV.............well it doesn't take a genesis to figure out what I did.

I joined a bookclub to broaden my horizon.......OK and to encourage me to read more. On occasion my mom has given me books to read and I will say that I enjoyed everyone that she has given me. I don't remember my mom reading much when I was growing up. She was very busy with raising a family, working, and her church work. Perhaps she felt the same way I do about reading. She reads a lot more now. I do know my son never enjoyed reading and he always thought reading was torture. He reads more now though as he regularly reads to his daughter. I will say that I really did enjoy reading the Twilight series.

That brings me to now. Well.....my daughter told me about a book series I should read. She said she stayed up until 4:00 in the morning reading the first one. She assured me I would enjoy it. I wasn't so sure. She is an avid reader and enjoys reading and I just told you that isn't me. She said she would bring them when she visited but with all the things she needed to bring the books got left at home. I wasn't that disappointed. Well, she knew I would enjoy them so she borrowed them from her sister-in-law for me. I promised I would read them. I read the story line inside the front cover of the first book and wasn't sure I really wanted to read the books. First off it reminded me of a recurring nightmare I used to have growing up but she really thought I would enjoy the series so I started reading. The verdict: I loved them. I read the first one in two days. I found myself thinking about the story when I wasn't reading. I can clearly understand why my daughter stayed up until 4:00 in the am reading. I finished both books and the next book in the series comes out in August. I can say I am looking forward to it. The series is the Hunger Games. I am glad my daughter encouraged me to read the series. I even got my daughter-in-law to read them. Once she is finished we (me, daughter and daughter-in-law) are going to have a phone bookclub discussion. I can't wait. Anyone who wants to join our discussion is welcome.

4 comments:

Mrs. Doctor said...

I'm so glad you liked them, can't wait for the discussion!

Trixie L'Amour said...

We read The Hunger games for Northwest Book Club last year...just as the 2nd book was coming out....I need to get it....Alexis read it too....can you feature us all reading the same series?
I think I am the lone holdout on the Twilight Series, tho.........nope, not yet!

cricket said...

Oh good, a new book to read!!!

Miss Five said...

I have my "Mockingjay" pre-ordered and will be devouring it on August 24. I may just call into work sick that day...

I loved the first two books - loving the second one more than the first.

And - the discussion is when?