Sunday, August 8, 2010

Today I Was A Goner

Today I had the blessing of attending church service at the nursing home. I have gone many many many times in the past and have watched the residents come and go. There are always a few that really tug at your heart and you can't help but just love. I always reflect on the lives that they had. Everyone of them had contributing productive lives. And now most are in wheelchairs and because of strokes and other aliments they suffer very few can even talk. It makes me sad to see them like this.

BUT TODAY.........today I was so touched. One of the residents is a lady who can't speak and is completely strapped in her chair. I don't know her circumstance but she appears to be paralyzed. The rest hymn was "There Is Sunshine In My Soul Today". It is an upbeat hymn and one of my most favorites. As we started to sing, this sweet lady lifted her eyes up, smiled and in the deepest voice I think I have ever heard from a female tried to sing. It was so sweet!! When we got to the second verse I was goner. I could no longer hold back the tears. To add to it, it totally reminded me of another story I had heard about this hymn.

For those not familiar with the second verse. It is:

There is music in my soul today,
A carol to my King;
And Jesus, listening, can hear
The song I cannot sing.

I knew at that moment Jesus was listening to her and could hear her sing and what sunshine it brought to my soul.

I am so thankful I was able to see that little glimpse of heaven today. What strength it was to my testimony.

1 comment:

Mrs. Doctor said...

Thanks for sharing your moment of sunshine!