Thursday, May 8, 2008

Rock Climbing

Last night we took the young women rock climbing. It was so much fun. Really I am not just saying that either. A woman in our ward (Melissa) does a lot of rock climbing and had all the equipment. She and a friend of hers graciously agreed to take the young women. We drove to a mountain close to Lucky Peak reservoir. The hike up the steep mountain was brutal for me as I am very out of shape. I took my asthma medication and ventured up the mountain. It was really dusty and the small trail had a lot of loose rocks that made the hike even more difficult. We made it up to the rock part of the mountain. It was straight up. I watched Melissa scale up the rock mountain as if it were a walk in the park. She set the rope. Just watching was scary enough. One girl said she was scared but not facing her fears scared her more. I cheered each girl as she carefully climbed up the rocks. I was in awe that they would even attempt it. They are gutsier than I am. When the girls asked me if I was going to try it, I laughed and said no way no how. I am not that stupid. We had another girl that wanted to go but was as scared of it as I was. I told her if she went, I would go. Now for those of you who how know me will be shocked that I even made the offer…heights and I are not friends. Just watching made me want to have a bowel movement in my pants. But I got in the harness and headed up the rock mountain. It was pretty fun but I never looked down. The hardest part of it was finding places for my fingers to grasp. I enjoyed it so much I went a second time. I will definitely go again. Hmmm….. I guess I am that stupid after all.

This is the mountain

This is my second climb

3 comments:

Mrs. Doctor said...

I AM SO IMPRESSED!!! Way to go! You rock, literally. :)

MKB said...

PFFTT...and you said you wouldn't go...I knew you would.

Trixie L'Amour said...

UN-BE-STINKIN-LIEVABLE!!!
Good thing there's a picture....you DO rock...goon on ya!