Friday, March 12, 2010

I Wish Money Grew On Trees

My grandson Dude is almost 8 years old. He has learned the value of money and he has been saving up for some fun things that he wanted. A few months back he shared with me some of the items on his list. I was impressed that he knew what each item cost and just how much he needed to get these fun things. We all know how tragic the the earthquake was in Haiti. My grandkids' school took up a collection to send to the Haitians. Dude has a very compassionate heart and he was so happy to give all the money he had saved. His mom told him he didn't need to give it all but he knew it was needed and would help. Dude knew they had needs verses his wants so I think it was a pretty easy decision for him. Now he is back to square one in saving. He called me yesterday and while we were chatting, he told me of a Lego kit he wanted but it was expensive and on top of that his mom informed him he would also have to pay sales tax and shipping. I told him I would search the internet and see if I could find one cheaper. (By the way the only ones I found where more expensive than the one in his catalog.) While I was looking this was our conversation.

Me: Dude I sure wish I was a millionaire
Dude: What?
Me: I sure wish I was a millionaire
Dude: What is a millionaire?
Me: Someone who has a least one million dollars
Dude: Oh... you want to be rich?
Me: Yeah
Dude: Why?
Me: So I could buy you this Lego set and anything else you wanted
Dude: Oh....that is nice of you.......You know what I wish?
Me: what?
Dude: That money grew on trees (how many times have we heard or said "money doesn't grow on trees")
Me (trying not to laugh) Oh me too.
Dude: I wish they were like cherry trees because cherry trees are FULL. Just think how much money you would have. If you had a money tree, you wouldn't need to be a millionaire.
Me: yeah until it died
Dude: If I took care of it, it wouldn't die and I would take care of mine.
Me: If you had a money tree would you help people who needed it?
Dude: Yes but I think I should just give them a money tree then they would have as much as they needed.

Oh Dude I wish money grew on trees too.

2 comments:

Mrs. Doctor said...

You never told me this story! Dude is a sweet kid.

Trixie L'Amour said...

Sweet, indeed........and smart, too!