Thursday, September 20, 2007

My Teacher My Friend

There are those of us who are fortunate enough to have someone enter our life and have a profound effect on us. I had that someone. My school years were not pleasant ones for me. I wasn't a genius child or even smart in fact, I struggled to be average. I didn't start out well. I had the same teacher in kindergarten and first grade. She was an elderly high strung woman. She didn't like me because I was left handed. She delighted in being mean and would regularly beat my hands with the ruler. She was determined to make me right handed......she succeeded. I share this because when I got to Jr High there was a teacher that had the reputation of being mean and tough. You did NOT mess with Mrs. Mickelson. She taught Freshman English. The summer before my freshman year, I realized I could get her for English. The very thought plagued me and would make me physically ill. All I could think of is my kindergarten and 1st grade experience. I was terrified I would have to relive that experience. I prayed harder than I had ever prayed in my life not to get her. You can only imagine my horror when I got my schedule and saw her name on my slip. As it turned out, she was the best teacher I had in all my school career. I couldn't wait to get to class. I had great love and respect for Mrs. Mickelson. To this day I can remember and relate things she taught. As luck would have it, several years later I went to church and who was there? Mrs. Mickelson. She had moved here to be near her daughter. Even better luck.... I was assigned to be her visiting teacher. In no time at all Mrs Mickelson became my friend Zora. We would talk on the phone and have lunch, I would take her to Dr appts, we belonged to DUP (daughters of the Utah pioneers) together. She would tell me stories of when she was young (they were very entertaining). We had a lot of fun. We even laughed together about how scared I was of her when I first met her. There are so many funny stories and experiences that I could tell about her. She was a wonderful teacher that turned into a wonderful friend. My friend Zora passed away last week. She is now gone but she taught me so much and had such a profound impact on my life that she will forever be in my heart. Thanks Mrs. Mickelson for taking me under your wing and teaching me so much and making each day in class a positive experience and thank you Zora for being such a sweet friend.....not to mention entertaining.

2 comments:

Miss Five said...

G.T. -
I'm so sorry for such a loss - losing a mentor and friend is very hard. I love you.

Miss Five

Trixie L'Amour said...

Oh, Granelda...what a tender and sweet tribute to a dear friend...you moved me to tears with your lovely words...Your writing is eloquent, it's very clear you learned well from a wonderful teacher...