Friday, December 26, 2008

My Green Coat

About 20 years ago I bought a nice coat. It was a green dress coat and I loved it. I even found a hat to match. I just felt good when I put it on and I always received lots of compliments when I wore it. I had a scare with it. When Mrs. Dr was going to BSU I was taking her to class and we were in a car accident. A drunk driver hit a car two cars behind us and they hit the car in front of them and they in return hit us. We were both O.K. so I got out to assess the situation and the car that hit us had a huge screw sticking out and I didn't see it but it found it's way to my coat and OH NO it tore my coat. I was so upset. All I could think about was my beautiful coat. Art thought I was crazy because my coat was my worry. He told me forget the coat, what about the expensive car. How could I even think about the car..........my coat was torn. When the insurance adjuster called I told him how upset I was about my coat. I made sure he knew how serious the situation was. Again, Art said wait what about the car.......again how could I even think about the car..........my coat was torn. The insurance man said they would fix the damage to the car and when I asked about my coat he said he would replace it. He said he had never had anyone that upset over an article of clothing so it must have been very valuable and he would gladly replace it. Which he did and I still have the replacement coat. It is nice but not my green coat. I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of the coat and it was a good thing. I had it out looking at it one day and it came to me.....I would have it altered to be a short coat. Off to the Taylor I went. Oh I once again could wear my coat. I must mention I had to replace the buttons three times over the years. But with much sadness I must now report the coat is old and tired. It needs more than just the buttons replaced, it has been well worn. Art and I cleaned closets today and it was time to say goodbye to my beloved coat. I am not a good purger. I am however a very good hoarder. I wanted to pack the coat away far in the back of the closet. That way I could get it out and reminisce of when I wore it. But Art told me it was time to let it go. He offered to sneak it out while I wasn't watching but instead with tears in my eyes I handed it over and looked away as he took it away. Never have I been so attached to a coat. (well maybe my mom's fur coat but that will never ever go away. EVER)

When I told the Buddy that I got rid of the coat today with joy in his voice he asked if I got rid of the hat as well...........hmmm I suspect he wasn't the fan I was.

3 comments:

Trixie L'Amour said...

I remember that coat...but I honestly thought it was a goner long ago....how kind of Art to deal with it for you...but I too wonder.....do you still have the hat???

cricket said...

Your favorite color, make sure you take a picture, you know, it lasts a thousand years!!!!

Mrs. Doctor said...

Oh mom!!!! I cried just reading this. I feel for you!