Thursday, January 10, 2008

It has only been 22 years

My goodness I cannot believe it has been 22 years since my prince charming rode in on his white horse and scooped me and the kids up. O.K. it was a red firebird but you get the point. 22 years ago today the kids and I were really struggling to keep out heads above water and I met the Donald. He was so kind and good to us. After a year of getting to know us and we him, he fell in love with us and we with him.

He knew of our struggles and he would do little things for us to make life easier like bring us groceries and say he had a coupon for buy one get one and he didn't need two. Secretly pay our power bill. One time, Christmas needed gardening tools for a school outing and remembered after the store closed and we didn't have any. She was broken hearted as she would be the only one in her class without so Don told her to hold good thoughts and good things would happen. Then he drove across town to deliver them to our front door so when she left for school she would find them with a note that said "hold good thoughts and good things happen". He learned to play "Old Maid" (he always tried to get the Fifi match) When Brent left his beloved "chipmunks" at the daycare he took him back before they closed to get them. He let Christmas and Brent sit on his lap and drive 'Ol Blue (his old ford van). This was all in the first couple of years that we knew him. I could go on and on and on. As the years rolled on he continued to take care of us. He made our lives good and I love every minute of my life with him. He truly is the BEST. It seems like I have known him forever but it has only been 22 years.....really.

4 comments:

MKB said...

no offense...while do is GOOD! I think I snatched the BEST guy around town...maybe I will give Don credit for raising him that way though...just maybe! :)

Trixie L'Amour said...

I couldn't agree more...we just can't figure out why you took TWO years to figure out that he was the best thing that could ever happen to you...he is an incredible work of Art! We love him very much, too...Happy Anniversary!

Mrs. Doctor said...

Well, I'm crying too hard to actually come up with a worthwhile comment. I love you both so incredibly much. Good things really do happen.

Art said...

I got a bit misty-eyed myself after reading this (and its all so true) but I know deep down that I'm the lucky one! And may we have a hundred more short years together.

AML
D