Friday, November 13, 2015

Dining Experience I Won't Soon Forget

The rain finally made it. It started to rain about 2:00 am.  It was accompanied  by thunder and lightening.  It lasted most of the rest of the night. It had stopped by the time we got up but everything was wet.  Art got up early and scored us some loungers by the pool.fter breakfast we went to the loungers.  It was a little cooler than it has been and it was pretty cloudy.  We had been there for about 30 minutes and it started to rain.  It rained hard for about 20 minutes.  Then it cleared up and was a beautiful day.  We played in the pool and on the slide all day.

We all were excited for tonight's dinner.  We signed up for a surf and turf dinner.  We were told the surf would be lobster.  Only 5 couples are allowed to attend.  It is a private dinner with the chef.  We learned after we got there that one of the couples dropped out so there were only 4 couples.  The other couples were from California.  They were super nice.  It was one of the ladies birthdays.  The room was set up really nice and we had a lot of fun with the other couples.  The dinner however was.......... well.......... the dinner was....well let's say it was a dining experience.  That is what I kept telling myself it is a dining experience.  I will tell you what we had by course.

First - It was a a salad.  It wasn't the green salad with lots of yummy vegetables and it wasn't even a Caesar salad,  It was a piece of watermelon (with the seeds) with hot sauce drizzled on the side. OK I can eat that.

Next - Cold Soup - It was two pieces of sausage  at the bottom of the glass with some sort of avocado  puree and then it tasted like watery catsup but I think it was a can of tomato sauce. The sausage had a really strange flavor so it was basically inedible.

Next - Beef Soup -  We got  a bowl that had two rocks yes I said rocks,  a piece of tomato some chive onions, cilantro and a piece of beef tongue.  Then the staff came a pour beef broth over it.  The rocks were suppose to keep the soup hot.  Gives new meaning to stone soup.

To cleanse our pallet we were given Mango pudding.  It was ok.

Then the main course...the turf and surf.  I kept thinking to myself it is going to be OK.......the surf and turf  will be steak and lobster.....I can do this.  We all had that same thought.   When the plates arrived the lady across from me gasped and said that is octopus.  I thought no way I looked up and could see a lobster tail on a plate. Whew!!  Then they set my plate in front of me.  Yes there was a lobster tail siting on what appeared to be spaghetti and to my utter horror an octopus tentacle.  I started to giggle. It was so disgusting all I could do was giggle.  I thought ok I will eat the spaghetti and lobster.  It was really wasn't spaghetti is was some kind of funion painted red.  The lobster was so stuck to the shell I couldn't get it out.  And what I could get out was undercooked and mushy.  I thought suck it up buttercup maybe the octopus would be good.  I cut off a piece off and tried to ignore the suction  cup looking part and popped it in my mouth.  Oh I wanted to spit it out so bad.  It wasn't any good.   We all felt the same way. I looked at Miss Cricket's plate and she had a huge tentacle.  I thought she was going to pass out.  It was so bad I started to giggle again.  Oh dear Lord don't let me throw up please please please. Art looked at his plate and said what part of this crawled on the ground. That made me laugh right out loud.   I thought maybe we would get the steak next.

No turf......we had dessert next.  We  were told we had to guess the ingredients.  I think they did that as an attempt to get us to keep eating it.  It was marshmallows, parmesan cheese and chocolate ice cream.  The marshmallows were wrapped in the cheese and then there were big chunks of the cheese. Wow!!! These items should never be put together. There was something else but I don't know what it really was.  It was so bad I just giggled all the way through it.   The lady across from me was trying not to gag.

Needless to say no one liked the dinner.  Afterwards we went to the grill for real surf and turf.  It really was a dining experience I won't forget.

  



No comments: