Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Love Story

Let me tell you about some friends of mine...Shirley and Dean. Shirley was the person who got me involved in D.U.P. (Daughters of the Utah Pioneers). She was also in love with my darling Don. Every time she saw him she would lock arms with him and smile her heart out and flirt with him. She would always ask me how he was and tell me how I had a very handsome husband. Don and I joked about her being his girlfriend. But we both knew her heart belonged to her beloved Dean. Shirley was a very classy lady and I so enjoyed her. I even had the pleasure of being Shirley's visiting teacher just before she passed away. Yes my friend Shirley passed away this past July. Shirley had a stroke and as a result she had to go to a nursing home. It was very hard for her and Dean to be apart. You see they were married for 64 years and they were very much in love. Dean faithfully visited her everyday. He was so sad to leave her each day. One time while I was visiting Shirley she asked me to wash her face and brush her hair so she would look nice when Dean arrived. She said she needed to get better because she was worried about him living alone. Dean moved to be closer to her. But sadly she didn't get better. The day before Shirley passed away she held Dean's hand and told him it was time for her to go. He told her he wasn't ready for her to go. She then told him she was going to go prepare a place for him and she was going to make it really nice. He relented but told her not to take too long as he would miss her terribly. I would say she didn't take too long. I am attending Dean's funeral tomorrow. I am thrilled that they are once again reunited.

2 comments:

Mrs. Doctor said...

Oh, what a sweet story. I didn't know that Dean passed away. Unless, of course, you told me and I forgot, which happens way too often. They were a great couple.

Trixie L'Amour said...

Oh my........