Friday, November 10, 2017

Wheelchairs Rock

It is hard to believe it has been an entire year since we were last here.  As much as things seem the same, they have changed.

We got up early this morning not as early as we usually have to but it was still early. The Buddy did his usual run and took us to the airport.   A few weeks back, I realized that since I am back in my boot, walking through the airports was going to be a pain.  I have never ever traveled in an airport that I didn’t get stepped on.  Plus I knew going from gate to gate, I would have to walk fast.  All the crazy thoughts of traveling with a bad foot gave me the worst anxiety.  Every time I would think about it my anxiety would skyrocket.  I had to stop thinking about before I gave myself a heart attack.  It was totally irrational  but I couldn’t help it.  I mentioned it to the Buddy and he suggested I get a wheelchair.  What a great idea. Art ordered me a wheelchair.

It worked out super slick. We checked in and the ticketing agent said he had in his records we needed a wheelchair which we confirmed.  He asked if I trusted Art  to push me or we wanted someone to come. I confirmed I trusted Art.  And might I add he was an excellent driver.  Got to security and can you believe it, I was randomly selected to be searched.  Since I was in a wheelchair they were quick and nice.  Nothing big.  Then we were on our way.

We boarded the plane early and got front row seating. It was great because we had a ton of leg room.  It really was great. The flight to Denver was great.   The main flight attendant was great and really nice.  Art packed some snacks for the flight and they were in his carryon.  Our seat mate eyed his goodies.  I think he had snack food envy,  do you know how I know?  The sweet flight attendant offered to stow our bags for us when we were preparing to land and when Art handed her his bag, our seat mate told her that the bag had a lot of food in it.  She got a twinkle in her eye and asked if there were any m&msin it.  We smiled and said why yes there are.  She cautiously  looked at us.  I knew she wondered if we were serious or just yanking her chain. Art opened his bag and whipped out a big bag of m&ms. She was thrilled.  She said the pilot asked her jokingly if she could find some and BAM she did. She was really excited.  Then she promised if my wheelchair wasn’t there when got off the plane she would run and get one. Sweet!  But she didn’t need to because the wheelchair was waiting.

My driver was super nice and even stopped at ladies room for me. This wheelchair gig is working out better than I ever anticipated.  When we got back on the plane, we were .......first , yes the very first to board the plane.  YES,  more leg room.  I have never ever been the first one on a plane before. Art and I were really loving how well this was working out.  And not once was my foot stepped on.  Nope not once. We arrived in Mexico and once again the chair was waiting. Wow!  I can’t even tell you how glad I was.  The distance to customs was a long one.

As luck would have it, the airport built a new building. In fact, it is still under construction on the outside.  It just opened 4 days ago.  Our plane was assigned the new building.  Best part.......we were the only plane there.  You might be thinking what’s the big deal with that.  I’ll tell you......we were the only ones in customs.  It took no time at all to get through. When we got to baggage claim our luck continued. Arts bag was the third one on the carousel and mine was ninth. Then I rode in the wheelchair to get out to our transportation.  Not one hawker bugged us.  I am telling you this wheelchair gig rocks.

Got to the hotel, and got a room on one of the ends of the building. That means we have a double balcony.  Kind of a wrap around.  It’s nice.  We had a quick beverage then had a delicious dinner. I don’t know why I am so tired, I got to ride instead of walking.  But I am so I am going to bid you all adieu so I can go to bed.  Peace out.

No comments: